Saturday, July 27, 2013

Making Ribbon Elastic Hair Ties


I have noticed that these hair elastics which are no pain, all ages friendly, and very simplistic are everywhere, and sometimes are even being worn as bracelets. I decided to find the materials to make my own.

First of all you can now find the elastic trim at Hobby Lobby. I'm sure JoAnn's, Michael's and other craft stores have them as well, but I found mine in both the sewing department and in the wearable art department at Hobby Lobby (also, they were half price at the time as they go on sale with ribbons and tulle spools). I know there are stores on Etsy that sell the material for these by the yard so there are probably many other vendors besides Etsy that sell it too.



The materials needed aside from the elastic trim are a pair of sharp scissors and either a lighter or clean nail polish to seal your ends. I went with the latter of these options.



First of all measure out around 9.5 - 10 inches of the trim and cut it at an angle.


Make sure both cuts are running the same direction when trim is folded in half.



Next, lay these out somewhere where they won't be disturbed for a few minutes and coat the ends of each cut with clear nail polish. Let them dry so that the ends can seal.


Once dry, bring both ends together to begin the knotting process.


Make a knot and pull it closer to the ends. Pull on both the end pieces and the now longer loop piece to secure the knot once it's where you want it to be.


That's it! (Don't my fingers look weird here. It was an odd angle now that I reevaluate the picture.) But now you have some fashionable hair ties that were really easy to make!

No comments :

Post a Comment